A blog about being a broke twenty-something grad student in L.A. At least the good parts.

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Welcome to the green paper house

It would have been just 'paper house', but that was already taken, so welcome to the green paper house! My favorite color is green, so it seemed fitting that if I had to amend my chosen name, a favorite color could do nothing but make it sound better. A blog! How twenty first century of me.

I figured there was no better day than today to start an official account of things as they happen to be going on in my life. For starters, I got up early to avoid the crowds at OSH, which here on the westside of Los Angeles fills very quickly with those really rich, really bitchy kind of people. One thing I really hate about L.A. However, the fact that you can love and hate L.A. at the same time is the subject for a different post at a later time.

The list for the day included new plants for my outdoor DIY planters (I found some good tips in Venus magazine last year), many of which died sometime during the fall when my sliding glass door that opens to the patio decided to come completely off the tracks. Sorry plants. I also bought this great bench from Ikea last year that is in some serious need of some wood care products, which I also bought. Last, but not least, I was walking home from the bus stop several months ago and right in the middle of the sidewalk found this sort of delicate metal table that is in some serious need of cleaning and painting. So I got all the supplies.

The point is, the quest to make my apartment the most comfortable, inviting, and yet aesthetically pleasing is never over. Especially when there are magazines like Domino that just make you wish you had a lot more money and time. Little by litte, I remind myself.

But that's only half the day - I really like the artist Kurt Halsey, and he currently has a solo show here in L.A. at Gallery 1988. So I drove over, as he was going to be there today for signings, and bought several prints. This show is completely sold out, I think, not that I could afford an original piece. Anyway, his work is great if you're more into the drawn, comic style, and slightly romantic themes. I imagine a lot of "indie girls" are into it. Wait, am I an indie girl? I like the subtlety of his color palette, which veer more to the natural colors like brown and beige, with small touches of color in some of the pieces.

Now I'm writing a blog, and listening to the fantastic Can album, Tago Mago. My tastes as of late have veered away from both heavy and quiet music in favor of more guitar solo driven rock. But not just rock...it's a little hard to explain. There's a reason why I'll never be a good music critic, and it's that I don't have the tools needed to write truly descriptive reviews - a good vocabulary, and a knack for translating the purely emotional into words. That's what I get for being an engineer.

Life is good. But then again, it's Saturday.

No comments: