A blog about being a broke twenty-something grad student in L.A. At least the good parts.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

long weekends

It's been a busy weekend; having friends visit from out of town does that. Friday, B came over. (B will from now on refer to the boyfriend). B had returned the previous night from a work-related trip across the country that lasted less than 24 hours. That's a high flying-to-working ratio for a trip! He was understandably tired. We finally got word that we were going to meet my friend Jessica and several other people over in the Silverlake area of L.A. to eat at a Thai place called Rambutan Thai. Jessica drove up from San Diego for the weekend. The food ended up being excellent, and well priced. Always a plus in my book. I would highly recommend this place for a romantic date on the cheap. It seemed to be expensively decorated and there was quite a hip crowd there.

We then decided to go to an ice cream place called Scoops, which is like the college radio of ice cream - all kinds of flavors that you've never seen or tasted before. I got mint and white chocolate chip ice cream, which like some stuff you hear on college radio, was not so good. Turns out this place was right around the corner from a very tiny venue called the Il Corral, which usually has noise/experimental shows for about $5. I learn more about L.A. all the time.

The people we are with are abounding with energy (where do they get it from, really??) and decide it's time to go bar hopping. We end up at a place back in Silverlake called the Cha Cha Lounge. Apparently this place is very popular, as it is full of trendily dressed twenty-somethings. There is a photo booth, but even after two beers, I cannot convince B to take pictures with me. That's o.k., he is photo shy. At this point, everyone is tired, but the others decide to go on to further adventures, while B and I decide to go home. Sleep was good.

Saturday, Jessica and I spent the day together. First we went to the MOCA at the Geffen Contemporary to see the WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution exhibit. Despite not having our school I.D.'s we convince the desk folk that we are indeed students and get the student rates. Nice. The exhibit was quite expansive, and covered female art from the 60's and 70's. Some of it was meant to be extremely liberating and some pushed the bounds, and I admit some of it just seemed to be there because it was made by a female artist.

This particular building of MOCA is in Little Tokyo, so Jessica and I decided to get sushi for lunch, followed by my very first taste of mochi ice cream. I had the strawberry flavor, which was excellent! I cannot wait to visit Little Tokyo again. I like sushi places:


We then made the mistake of visiting the Beverly Center go to to H&M at around 4 p.m. So many obnoxious people at this mall. Nothing much of note happened, but I got three shirts for summer. I think this summer, I am going to be very into heather grey. We had dinner at my favorite neighborhood pizza place, Mama's. Got the ravioli instead of pizza this time, which was also excellent.

A lot of great food this weekend, which was a much needed change in the routine. None of it being expensive made it even sweeter. Speaking of food, I was at the grocery store today and both blueberries and raspberries were on sale!! I love berries! But only if they aren't so expensive. Still trying to live on the cheap here. So I picked up some of both, and they are so good, I'm alternating typing and munching:


Time to go, B and I are going to see Paris, Je t'aime.

Listening: June of 44 - Anahata

No comments: