A blog about being a broke twenty-something grad student in L.A. At least the good parts.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

What do you mean you have to 're-spray'?

So today was, in the words of David Cross, good slash bad slash good again. I ended up skipping a day at school to take care of very important errands. The first of these very important errands being to get a haircut. "Hey, that's not very important," you say. The hell it isn't says I! Although I agree, if I were paying full price, it would make more sense to make an appointment on a day off such as Saturday. I used to do this, and then discovered the magic of the Vidal Sassoon academy in Santa Monica. That's not where I went today, but that's where this story has to begin from.

Almost two years ago now, I was approached while shopping in Santa Monica by a young guy that asked me if I needed a haircut. Incidentally, I did, and had an appointment the next weekend with my then current stylist at an Aveda salon near my parents house, a nearly two hour drive east. I decided to throw caution to the wind and cancel my appointment, and let this guy cut my hair. So he needed a model because he was training at the Vidal Sasson to be on their staff (he was well post-licensing at that point). I got an awesome haircut and best of all, it was free.

At that point, I decided I liked free haircuts and cheap color. Several months later I was getting highlights when I was approached by a young girl named Jamie who asked if I wanted a haircut. I was due, so said yes. She was also post-license and training to become staff. Well not too long after that she left Vidal Sassoon but remained in the L.A. area, so I followed her to her new place. So I get to be a hair model, and I just try to tip better than I would if I was paying full price, seeing as it's free for me. Not a bad deal. Additionally, there is a perfectly good reason for making appointments on Tuesday, as that is the only day she does training on models.

This is the haircut I got today: it's an A-line bob with layers in the back, which I've had for about two years now, but today she gave me these awesome blunt bangs.


That was the first good part about today. The second good part about today was that I got my car smogged and it passed. Also of note is the fact that I spent much of the late afternoon replanting the outdoor planter that I had purchased the supplies for this past weekend. I also finally cleaned off the balcony. Here's what my balcony looks like now:


What you can't see is how dirty the bench actually is. That's next on my to-do list. The unstated goal is to make my balcony the most inviting balcony I could possibly have, so that when I have those great imaginary summer parties where people are relaxed and comfortable and we're making great mixed drinks, they would feel drawn to spend some time on the patio.

The truth is, I probably won't have any summer parties. But maybe 2007 is the year of the summer party for me. 2007 has been an interesting year so far, so why not?

The bad part of the day is related to the title of this post. About a month ago, I got a notice on my door stating that on some weekday, workers were going to come in and spray for fleas and I needed to have the cat out for about half the day. Apparently one of the nearby units had a bad flea infestation. I don't know, and don't really care, but I understood and had the cat out, with no small amount of inconvenience for both me and the cat. I missed a whole day of work for that.

This evening, I come to find another one of these notices on my door for this coming Thursday. For 're-spraying'. What the hell? My apartment doesn't even have fleas, so you would think one spray would pretty much cover it, no? Just re-spray the unit with the problem. Damn. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I'm a grad student and have the flexibility to tell my advisor, "Oh yeah, just to let you know, not coming in on Thursday. K, thanks." What the hell would I do if I had a real job with this two day notice? I'm almost tempted to tell the manager that I absolutely cannot take the day off on Thursday to deal with this, but if she'd like to have them come on a Saturday, that'd be great - just to see what she would do.

Technically, that means the day went good slash good slash bad, which makes no sense. I guess I'll have to throw in the pizza I made for dinner after I got the 're-spray' notice, bumping me back to good slash bad slash good again.

Listening: Bedhead - Transaction De Novo

No comments: