A blog about being a broke twenty-something grad student in L.A. At least the good parts.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

There are some upsides to breaking a computer, right?

There seems to be at least one good thing about the "PowerBook + water = dead computer" equation, and it is that I have to build my iTunes library from scratch. I'm not uploading things that I already had, in the hope that when I take the old hard drive out, I'll be able to transfer everything over. A lot of the stuff I had on there was sent to me by Joe, or uploaded from Corey's extensive library. (Corey is my now ex-boyfriend that I lived with for two years.) Corey has graciously offered his CD library to me, after I told him the story. I would say I had about fifty of my own albums on there. So what I've uploaded so far is mostly older stuff, which translates into a lot of my hardcore, post-punk, and basically heavier stuff. Some of it is also just indie stuff I haven't listened to in a long time, due to simple neglect. It's like travelling back in time! It's like getting my money's worth all over again!

Other than that, I can't think of any really good upsides to wrecking a perfectly good computer, but that's probably because I'm just not trying hard enough.

After going through last week, which was definitely worse than most in the recent past, it feels great to get back to my normal self. I realized only today that I was getting really uptight and neurotic last week, which I guess is my fallback personality when things aren't going well. I don't handle the stress of the unknown with grace. I sure wish I could learn how to do that. This weekend definitely helped me get my mind off of the computer problems, and helped me to not think about the fact that I made zero progress on my new paper. Friday was relaxing in that I spent the evening doing laundry and watching Sex and the City (contain your jealousy of my exciting nights)...and sort of mentally decompressing. Saturday morning I had a slight lapse into yelling in anger as I spent 30+ minutes on hold on a customer service line only to get cut off somehow. However, I recovered quickly and made my way over to violin, where we learned Canon in D. Only one more week of Level 1 violin. I'm so glad they've decided to add a Level 2 and Level 3. It ends up being $10 per one and a half hour class, which is so much more than reasonable. I couldn't afford private lessons.

One of B's friend threw a party on Saturday afternoon in honor of landing a job after many months of searching. On a personal sidenote, I think I would go absolutely insane if I couldn't find a job for months. I think it's some strange part of my personality. I am only starting to understand how out of control I feel if things aren't meeting a pretty high threshold of where I think they should be. I am not someone you would describe by saying "she goes with the flow". No, I try to control the flow. We had a lot of fun, and I met some more new people who were all very down to earth and interesting and funny.

Today was one of those days that put things in perspective for me, it was so great. I'm finally beginning to appreciate the art of sleeping in past 8 a.m. (really, not joking). B had planned ahead so we could make french toast when we got up, and it ended up turning out fantastic! We had taped Sarah Silverman's movie "Jesus is Magic" when it was on last weekend (Comedy Central showed it late at night, uncut and uncensored), and watched it today. Then I came home and made a to-do list and crossed everything off. So, it was the best of both the world of relaxation and the neurotic world of getting-things-done-on-a-Sunday. I think B is really good for me.

The only thing I'd like to do in the near future is make a trip to Amoeba. It's getting to the point where I'm beginning to feel cut off from the world, I don't know what is new, or what is great right now. I need that feeling of being on the cusp of what is current in music.

Listening: Oma Yang - From the Heart of Jumbo Malaria

No comments: