A blog about being a broke twenty-something grad student in L.A. At least the good parts.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

the best parts of summer fly by fast

August has been a busy month so far. Two weekends ago, I was busy on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday, B and I went to see his intern's band, 17 Pages, play somewhere in Irvine. We probably would have gone to support him, but I had extra incentive; one of B's coworkers also has a digital camera, and had gone to a show recently, taking what I thought were some pretty good pictures - B played up my photo skills, and well, a challenge was born. The band turned out to be pretty good, and it reminded me a lot of my hardcore days (to be young again...). Here are a few products of the night:






Saturday I found myself headed out to the Corona area to go to a family gathering. My cousin had recently gotten married in a ceremony on a cruise, and they threw a reception for all the family to attend. My cousin and his wife now live in Texas, so they had a Texas BBQ themed menu, and needless to say that as a vegetarian, I didn't eat much. I had enough not to pass out though, and got to take some pictures. Everyone kept asking about B, but he is pretty shy and I figured I needed one neutral family event (I had a breakup early in January from a three year relationship). I think he should meet my parents and brother first, then the rest of the family, maybe at Christmas. I have a huge family on my dad's side; he has 11 siblings, so that makes for a lot of aunts, uncles, cousins, and now my cousins' children.



Those are the eleven children (one aunt passed away about 15 years ago) and my Grandma. Can you tell it's a fun family? Very lively, that bunch.

Sunday I took it easy and hung out with Corey (my ex); I decided I needed to go to Amoeba, and to Amoeba it was. I got a lot of stuff, my favorite being the Noxagt - S/T c.d., although a close second would go to the Mammatus - S/T c.d.. I also got the new Fridge and DNTEL records, an older Comets on Fire album, two OOP Bedhead e.p.'s, and c.d.'s from Kings of Convenience, Rachel's, Jessamine, and Larsen. What a good trip! We then ate dinner at a place in Sherman Oaks called The Habit, and that was good, but the best part was the ice cream sundae with chocolate fudge, nuts, and whipped cream for only $2.25. Hell yeah.

That was just one weekend, I've still got more! (But less pictures.)

This past weekend was spent mostly at Caltech. One of B's college friends was getting married on the Caltech campus on Saturday, but arranged for guests to stay at the Caltech dorms (a lot of out of state people). I met B up there on Friday night, and got to meet some of his oldest and closest friends, who all turned out to be great. There was a lot of drinking, and fun times were had by all. Saturday was the wedding and reception (I got a lot of HUGE mosquito bites at the reception, but, what can I do?), followed by more drinking. I am so not young anymore. Hit me like a ton of bricks on Sunday. I left pretty early, and B stayed to go out to Dim Sum before saying goodbye to everyone. I could go into drunken detail...but really, you had to be there.

But there was no rest for the weary, as on Sunday, Jessica came up from San Diego to spend time with little old me. She got to town right as my apartment reached its peak temperature for the day, so we went and got iced tea and browsed around Cost Plus. I got some Swiss milk chocolate and a bottle of New Zealand riesling (my very first bottle of wine!). Now I just need some wine glasses. We then drove over to the Thai place in Silverlake that I'm in love with, and headed over to Spaceland to see Mr. Tube and the Flying Objects. Her boyfriend, Brad, plays the trumpet. It features Pall Jenkins on vocals/guitar; Pall being the center of two great San Diego bands: Three Mile Pilot and The Black Heart Procession. I saw The Black Heart Procession several years ago at the Knitting Factory, and the awesomeness of the show was diminished by the drunk person that kept dancing into me. Somehow, these people are drawn to me. D r a w n. Mr. Tube turned out to be fantastic; a more upbeat, danceable (not that I danced...pfft) kind of feel. But the pictures aren't ready yet. So actually that means I have no more pictures. Last Comic Standing just came on so I got lazy.

So much more to blog about! I should be one of those people who post five entries a day on various things. It would probably be easier to read.

Like, at the wedding this past weekend, the bride's sister and brother-in-law were playing these gorgeous instruments that I had never seen before. After a little searching today (god bless Google), I discovered they were 'thumb pianos', or as they are known in Zimbabwe, the 'Mbira'. And I want one! They are available for purchase on E-bay!

And then, there's like the news that the U.S. government (specifically our Preznit, of course) has labeled some of the Iranian military as a
terrorist group
. Wow, I didn't know it was that easy. I want to play, I want to play! I would like to declare...the country of Switzerland to be a terrorist organization. "What, they're neutral?", you might think to ask. No, no, no, in this age of global terrorism, being neutral is as good as bedding with terrorists. Remember all that, if you're not with us, you're against us bullhonkey? Well, neutral sounds like 'not with us' to me. When does the war start????

No comments: