A blog about being a broke twenty-something grad student in L.A. At least the good parts.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

for each inch cut...

It has been a long time since an August has flown by this fast (note that I have mentioned this in two consecutive posts). It's almost enough to not notice how hot it has been lately! Almost.

This past weekend was kept busy by the fact that B's brother Jim was in town, a last hurrah of sorts before he begins his new teaching job in Philadelphia. On Friday, I booked us free tickets to see a taping of Last Comic Standing, which ended up being a good choice. I like Last Comic Standing; among the mindless teevee you get in the summer (hello, America's Got Talent!) is this funny gem. I like to laugh. It' s an easy equation really. The taping was for the episode that is going to air tomorrow night. I'm glad we picked this particular week, as all five of the finalists performed. Every week after this, the audience will get to see fewer comics (arguably better comedy, but really, I'm all about quantity).

Most of the evening was spent waiting in line, and waiting for all of the theater seats to be filled. Once the filming started, it only took about an hour and a half, for a forty minute show. So if you see a dirty blond and two guys in the audience, stage right, that's us!

The activities continued on Saturday, as B hosted a BBQ at his place. Something that I find nice is that we've been together long enough for me to have met almost all of his friends. Now we have things to talk about when I see them, and the awkwardness of the first meeting is gone. There was an interesting, and quite long, conversation about ingrown toenails, and the remedies available. I'll summarize by saying I'm glad I've never had an ingrown toenail.

Yesterday, B brought Jim up to UCLA, and we walked around the campus for a bit before walking down to my favorite vegan place in L.A., Native Foods. I was vegan for about five years, although I'm just vegetarian now. Jim was also a longtime vegan, and still mostly vegetarian. I think he enjoyed it. I think B tolerated it. He's definitely a steak and chicken and pizza guy. It's good we have nights apart, I could be so fat.

The rest of this week will hopefully be spent laying low, relaxing a bit. Next Wednesday is when B and I leave for the Costa Rica trip, and I don't want to be overly stressed about anything before we leave. Although, Friday night will be spent at yet another low key party, this one involving karaoke and Guitar Hero. I am a master at the medium level, although very out of practice. I may have to rock beginner for a while.

Listening: Rainer Maria - Look Now Look Again (oh I sing along and pretend I'm 19 and emo again...cry cry sniff sniff)

No comments: